Thursday, March 7, 2013

Piacenza is a Whirlwind!


Dear Family and Friends back home in Washington and abroad,

Piacenza has been a whirlwind lately. The transfer drama continues as Anziano Thompson, my trainer has been space transfered to Verona. He called us a couple of hours ago, so we know he is safely arrived. We didn't travel with him because Verona is 3 hours away and it would have turned into an all day ordeal. Now Anziano Iacovelli and I are going to brave Piacenza in 2 like normal (even though for right now 2 feels like something is missing). Rumor has it however that Piacenza is going to have a second companionship soon. And we will all be in the same apartment! It occurs to me that it will go from three seeming perfect, to two seeming a tad empty to four seeming like too much. It will be a grand adventure for sure.

I get the sense that the mission has ancora di più surprises in store. I am loving every minute of it. 

Last week, I was senior companion as part of the 12 week training program that we have to do when we get into the field. It was fun but stressful. It gave me a lot of respect for Anziano Thompson and Iacovelli because it isn't easy to do missionary work and it's even less easy to organize it all by yourself. 

On Thursday and Friday, We had a lot of lessons and Finding work to do, like normal. One of those days, I can't quite remember which, A guy came walking right towards us while we were waiting to meet one of our investigators in an almost empty Piazza and we tried to move out of his way but he continued walking towards us and realizing that it was his intention to talk to us, we met him half way. He told us how he had seen us drawing on the street (the Plan of Salvation that was mentioned in last weeks e-mail) and he wanted to know what it was all about. He seemed kind of sort of half interested and we talked for a little while and offered to come by and give him a Book of Mormon which he thought would be a really cool thing if we were to also bring a Bhagivad Gita in Italian. After explaining to him that we weren't Hindu, and had no idea where to get a Bhagivad Gita in Italian, he lost interest. It was kind of bizzare. Or maybe a lot bizzare. He said Namasté to us upon his parting. I had to explain everything to my other two companions who had no idea what was happening in the latter part of the conversation and had probably never heard the word Namasté in their lives (which is a greeting in Sanskrit that in effect means "the good/light in me salutes the good/light within you")

On Saturday, two Ecuadorian families in our Branch invited us to come over for food. Ecuadorians are amazing cooks! So for lunch we were over at the Lombardelli house which is a farm with cows and chickens and goats. It was really cool. We offered to come over one day and help with the farm and they said that it would be awesome, but they want us to come in the spring when there is more to do. Actually Michele, Sorella Lombardelli's husband, who isn't a member, but comes to church with his wife, said that he has been thinking really hard about God latley and he wants to start taking it a bit more seriously and start doing what is right in his life. He wants to fix up some things in his life and he wants to seriously consider finally comitting to being baptized. It is a cool thing to see! After our meeting with them, we had some appointment and the dinner with the Stephanoni family. Who cooked... drumroll please... an delicacy that I like to call tripe... That's right cow stomach! It was actually something that was okay. I just couldn't shut my brain off enough to really completely enjoy it. Anziano Thompson couldn't shut his brain off at all and didn't finish his whole plate.

On Sunday, we had a really good time a church. Our new members, Osas John and Fred brought some friends to church with them and one of them, Nancy, Osas' sister, bore her testimony. It was really cool. Actually, we also ran out of translating devices which made me really happy. After church, we went to the Noda's house for lunch and learned how to play an Italian card game that is pretty similar to one I have played in the states, but I cant remember any of the rules. Sorella Noda told us some funny stories about coordinating all of the travel paperwork for missionaries coming in and out of Italy and also riding trains. It was really awesome. After that we went to a concert that Fratello Noda was going to be in. He's an opera singer. That was cool.

On Monday, we had a district meeting and that is where we found out about Anziano Thompson's space transfer and at first I told him "Stop joking around, Anziano Thompson, It's time to be serious" and then he said "I am being serious. That was just President Wolfgramm on the phone." And then I didn't have anything to say after that.

Yesterday, we were in Milan for an in-training missionary conference. Which was fun. It was great to see all of the people that I was in the MTC with. We came back around night time where we met with our branch President so that he could say goodbye to Anziano Thompson after that we came to see Osas, John and Fred who talked about how grateful they were to be members and introduced us to their friend Andrew who had been in Church on Sunday. Andrew wants to learn more too! We also found out that they found housing nearby in Piacenza. All around Italy, the refugee camps have been closing and it has been really hard for people but our prayers have been answered for Osas John and Fred! After English class, we are going to come by to bless their house and dedicate it to the Lord at their request!

Today was P-day so we cleaned and helped Anziano Thompson pack, and saw him off in the rain, and cooked quiche which I am getting better at, but I still can't get it as good as mom's cooking. Then Anziano Iacovelli and I went shopping and between the two of us pulled a 19€ speza. I don't know how, but it ws cool.

That's been my week! I love you all and hope that you are doing well! I am so hapy to be here and have this opportunity to serve the Lord and the people of Italy! I hope that you all kow that the Lord loves you and that he has a plan for you and I have felt this as I have labored here in Piacenza. I am growing here daily and I have seen blessings for doing the right things. The Lord works in mysterious but wonderful ways and I have been so grateful to be a part of that even though I don't see the whole plan.

Love,
Anziano Cook



No comments:

Post a Comment