Saturday, January 19, 2013

Third Week in Italy!


Well today was largely spent on cleaning the apartment, getting spesa (groceries), doing laundry and writing letters to all of you beautiful people. I still have a pile that I am going through and chipping away at but know that I am going to write you back as soon as I can. 

Our week has been really really good. Especially yesterday. We have seen a lot of miracles happening for us this week or gearing up to be happening. It will be great!

We have been doing a lot of finding work lately and it has had its successes and drawbacks. But I want to talk about some of the awesome things that happened.

We were doing casa which means knocking on doors. The way things are set up in Italy, you have to "knock" twice because everybody, at least in Paicenza lives in an apartment. So you have to buzz on the citefono... I don't even know what it's called in English to get let into the building and then once you are in the building, you knock on the doors to see if you will be let in. 

Well we were doing just that as we always do around 6-8 at night and we came to a door and they answered and said "Wait, are you the Mormons?" and we said yes we were and the man opened the door a little wider (I thought to get better leverage to slam it in our faces) but to my surprise he moved out of the threshold and said "come in"... It turned out that this was a couple from Napoli and they had previously met the missionaries and had a Book of Mormon and were midly interested in our message and quite interested in Englsih class but we left a spiritual lesson with them and they are coming to English class thay said, so we may get the opportunity to teach them further. Which would be really cool

Then Yesterday, we set up an appointment with somebody who ahd been contacted last month who had expressed interest in our message and getting closer to God. He is a refugee from Libya and he lives in a Refugee camp (which actually isnt literally a camp. I was surprised). So we were teaching this man our message and his brother who also lives there came in towards the end and he is also interested to know more. They are both New investigators and we are going to return and teach them tomorrow. That was rocking! Also, after that we were doing more casa and this older couple let us in before we could even explain who we were. They said that they have been in Paicenza before the rocks were, or at least thats what I thought they said... The husband listened while the wife popped in and out in the process of making dinner. Dinner ended up being ready before we finished our lesson and they told us to come back later to finish up the lesson... Not before giving us a candy shops worth of sweets and water and juice for both of us.

I love you all and I am so happy to be here serving and I can't wait to hear more from what's happening at home.

Love,
Anziano Cook

1 comment:

  1. In Piacenza you are oh so close to Milano. As I told you before I want and Inter jersey bought at the San Siro. If you get to Milan let me know how much $ to send you for the shirt (I'll add some $ for shipping and handling as well)!
    Bishop Hakes

    ReplyDelete