Wednesday, January 2, 2013

ITALY!!! 2013


Wow! What an amazing first few days I have had out in the field in the Italy Milan Mission. Contrary to any guesses, I am in Piacenza. It is a really nice town and there are plenty of people to talk to and A LOT of work to do.

My companion's name is Anziano Thompson. He is a super cool down to Earth guy and we get along super well. Well, where to begin? Italy is really cool and Piacenza is pretty nice too. Centro (downtown) is almost always crowded and there is plenty happening all of the time. The streets in Piacenza for the most part are cobblestones and the roadway situation is hillarious. Its kind of like a huge free for all. Bikes (us), cars, people all in the same place all trying to do their thing. 

We have a small branch of about 40 people and growing. We had a baptism on my first  full day in Piacenza. A couple, named Tony and Jacquiline! They are fantastic. So are all of our members and our branch President, President Taina.

Italians are a hoot! I love them already. They are really fun to talk to even though I pick up on 70% at the absolute maximum of what they are trying to say to me. They are really patient with my lack of understanding and shower me with compliments about how good they think my Italian is especially given how long I've been here and then they always say something about how they have no idea what they would do in America. What rocks is that not a whole lot of people speak English here so I am sort of forced to use Italian. So I am growing. I've come up with a rule: "I am in Italy, I speak Italian" they love it. 

We do a lot of finding work in centro. For the most part it is given a polite ear and when it isn't it is for the most part poliltely rufused like this "Well thank you so much for thinking of me. You guys are great really and it takes a lot to do what you do and thank you again but I am Cattolico al massimo (Catholic to the Maximum) and I am not super interested, but thanks".  Italians are generally open and willing to talk about most things so it works well.

We also do a lot of strenthening new converts and less actives. So far I have met 3 of the new converts including the two metnioned above and one named Valerio who is a total character. The members in our branch affectionately refer to him as "The Mormon Gandhi". He usually wears all white sometimes with a colored scarf and long white hair that he wears in a bun on top of his head and a beard. His house smells violently of incense. And he stares at people when he first meets them for a really long and uncomfortable time. Before the missionaries found him, he was practicing Shinto. He kind of reminds me of the peopple back home  except even more wild than that.

The food here is really good. Anziano Thompson and I eat well. We switch days that we cook lunch for the both of us and we do something simple for breakfast and we don't have dinner per sè but we do something light and snack-y when we get home. Since I reported to the MTC, I have lost 23 pounds and Anziano Thompson is sure that there is more on its way since we a) bike everywhere and b) I like veggies and rice cakes which he finds weird. It's really great here. I've got a nice clean apartment and an awesome collega (companion) to share it all with.

I love you all and I hope you know that I am safe and happy and that the Itlay Milan Mission is seriously the bomb! I could say the best in the world but I know that some people would disagree and try to tell me that theirs is better. I know that the Lord is watching over us and I will see miracles here in Piacenza and for the next two years in this mission. 

Stay safe tell and me all about what is happening with you all.

Also, I am still working on letters. Next P day will maybe be the day where I write a ton of letters and stuff look out for it all.   

1 comment:

  1. John,
    So good to hear all is going so well!

    When I was in Milan, the traffic situation absolutely floored me. First of all, I decided that you probably weren't allowed to drive a vehicle unless it had a horn that was constantly in use. I also recall seeing a woman standing outside her car, arguing with the Polizia who had pulled her over. So much shouting and arm-waving! I remember bursting out in laughter because I wondered, "With the way everyone drives around this place, how in the heck do they decide whom to pull over?"

    I look forward to hearing more about your adventures. Seize every opportunity! <3

    ReplyDelete